Re: Lucas sports coil

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: Lucas sports coil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:44:32 -0600
At 05:15 PM 7/24/98 -0400, you wrote:

>David, you're the chap in Montana, right?  IMHO, use of the sport coil
>just might make starting a bit easier when the temp drops to -35 F.  (I
>spent 3.5 years in Great Falls with a '69 B/GT and never had a problem
>starting it - but it was always plugged in during the cold weather and I
>used synthetic oil.)

yes, I'm one of the ones in Montana and my 71BGT has faced 12 years of
Wyoming/Montana winters under my ownership.

I have found that once the temperature drops to 5 above zero, starting the
car is iffy (and the seat cushions start getting hard). Plugged in (using a
1 1/4 inch lower radiator hose heater), I can get reliable starts down to
about 15 below zero.

Below that - starting has been doubtful although a little ether (starting
fluid) has helped me out a time or two.

Now a days, I have a heated garage and even cars with heat so its not near
as critical to get the car started. But if the sports coil gives me a
little extra edge, I'll have to get one next time I order parts.

David