Re: Powdercoat paint code for Rostyle rims

To: fayne@ibm.net, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Powdercoat paint code for Rostyle rims
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 14:21:30 -0500
At 02:04 PM 8/5/98 -0500, Jeff Fayne wrote:

>Carol wrote:

>> Eric...

>> When I was looking into redoing the wheels on Darlin', I spoke with folks

...snip

Jeff noted that:

>According to John Twist's color chart:
>
>Ditzler DAR 2593
>Duplicolor FM-149

>My local paint supplier crossed the Ditzler number to DuPont  #5580A which
>according to the can label is Code 5299A 1974 Ford Truck Silver Metallic.

>DISCLAIMER: I don't know what this formula looks like when dry, but it sure
>looks right in the can. I didn't actually paint my old rims, I gave up on
>replacing the spokes that were already broken or I broke by truing the rims
>when the cost of the replacement spokes were approaching the cost of new
rims.
>I now have a set of new 72 spoke rims from Brit. Wire. YMMV

Ditto here. We opted for chrome/stainless 72-spoke wheels.

>BTW: Be aware that powdercoating the rims will cause the spokes to be
locked in
>place as you will not be able to break the nipples free due to the
application
>of the powdercoat. Powdercoating is cheap compared to painting, however. The
>cost of materials for doing a set of wheels will cost the powder coater will
>most likely be under $1.00  Try to find a powdercoater who doesn't specialize
>in the auto resto business and does powdercoating full time. If you can
shmooze
>with them and they already have the color in stock you can get the job
done for
>far less than the guy who advertises for auto resto work. Just for a frame of
>reference, we have some large metal framed equipement (~8' x 8' x 4')
>powdercoated for ~$20 whereas  the local body shop was quoting us ~$350
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jeff

Before I gave up on the old wheels, I found a sandblaster who is across the
road from a powder coater. They do joint projects frequently and were going
to do the sandblasting and powder coating for $40 per wheel. Heckuva lot
less than the $95 per wheel at a resto place!!

Carol