Re: HS4 carbs rebuild myself? or send them off?

To: flybirds@erols.com (Kevin Richards)
Subject: Re: HS4 carbs rebuild myself? or send them off?
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:01:32 -0400 (EDT)
>Listers:
>Does anyone know the answers to these
>questions: I am debating whether or not
>to do my carb overhaul myself, or have >someone do it professionally.
>=A0 1. Does anyone know of a good
>rebuilder who will clean the old carbs
>and replace all of the washers, jets, etc
>at a good reasonable price?

Nope.  That's why I did mine myself.

>2. Is it that easy that I can do it myself
>without having too much hassle?

Yep.  Pick up the Haynes SU Carb manual and follow it.  Believe me, if I
could do it, anybody can.

>3. Can you sandblast a carb clean??
>(gently of course!)

I wouldn't try it, but others may disagree.

>4. If you can't sandblast, can you
>chemically clean so they come out nice
>and shiny??

How about a Dremel tool and a little polishing compound?  Haven't tried
it, but it should work and it won't hurt anything.

>5.Since my throttle shafts show no
>reasonable amount of wear, I should just >be able to get away with the
standard
>rebuild kit, right??

Not necessarily.  It's a good starting point though.  Check everything
the manual says to check.  You may find you need to replace something
that's not in the kit.

>Keep in mind that the
>carbs ran just fine when I took them off
>to replace the exhaust manifold. They
>just leaked fuel.

Then why rebuild them?  Replace the gaskets and needle valves (or grose
jets, whichever you prefer), clean them up, and slap 'em back on.
Nuthin' to it.

>Thanks for all the advice.....

Welcome

>Kevin Richards.

-NORY

Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '71 5-speed Midget (my new baby)
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger