Re: Why new leaf springs may be a waste

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Why new leaf springs may be a waste
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:26:22 EDT
Barney,
 Have you tried using lowering blocks to bring the rear end back down?
This would accomplish two purposes at the same time.
 1. Increase the  travel  before the rebound  straps go solid
 2. get the CG closer to the roll axis, reducing body roll somewhat.
 Additionaly, without actually seeing your car, it may be that bringing
the rear back down to the old range, may actually reduce the amount of
roll steer, by getting the spring mounts in a more optimal configuration.
 Too, you have to remember that the new springs are "tighter" than the
old, sagged ones, and this increases the roll stiffness of the rear end.
Not unlike adding an anti-roll bar to that end.
 Does the SCCA allow you to have the springs re-arched? Or could you get
this by tech if you don't tell? If it allowed (or can be sneaked in)
de-arching them may be a possible solution, although, the increase in
rear roll stiffness would still be present, no matter what you come up
with to utilize the new springs. Re-arching the old springs may be an
option, though, if you only go just enough to get the correct ride height
for the techies. Anything else would probably work against you anyway, by
raising the unsprung CG relative to the roll axis, especially the rear
roll center.
Good luck.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

PS  Another good book with a good suspension section is Paul Von
Valkenburgh's
"Race Car Engineering and Mechanics". There are two versions out; the
original and the "updated". The original has the better
suspension/handling sections.

RM