RE: stuck brakes

To: "pete schuhmann" <pschuhma@richmond.edu>,
Subject: RE: stuck brakes
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 98 23:18:57 UT
Pete,

We all make this mistake once (or in my case several times) and hopefully you
now know *not* to leave the emergency brake on when storing or leaving the car
for any period of time - next time just leave it in gear.

Now, what should you do??  Well the last time I did this I got away with
tapping the handbrake lever on the rear drums a few times with the BFH and
they released.  The time before that I just rode the clutch and rocked in
first and reverse and the brakes eventually freed up (this is essentially the
lazy man's method).  Usually, all it takes it a bit of a shock to the rear
drums to get things freed up.  I suppose you could also loosen up the rear
brake adjusters (do midgets have these?) and see if that helps.  In the
unlikely event that the brakes are really frozen you are going to have to
disassemble, replace any questionable parts (linings, wheel cylinders) and put
it all back together - but I doubt that you have that problem.

Good luck.

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT