RE: stuck brakes

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: stuck brakes
From: pschuhma@richmond.edu
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:27:54 -0400
At 11:18 PM 5/22/98 UT, doug russell wrote:
>Pete,
>
>We all make this mistake once (or in my case several times) and hopefully
you
>now know *not* to leave the emergency brake on when storing or leaving the
car
>for any period of time - next time just leave it in gear.

Thanks! I'm learning....

>Now, what should you do??  Well the last time I did this I got away with
>tapping the handbrake lever on the rear drums a few times with the BFH and
>they released.  The time before that I just rode the clutch and rocked in
>first and reverse and the brakes eventually freed up (this is essentially
the
>lazy man's method).  Usually, all it takes it a bit of a shock to the rear
>drums to get things freed up.

Yep. that worked. Tapping on the handbrake arm freed up one side and
tapping on the drum freed up the other.

I suppose you could also loosen up the rear
>brake adjusters (do midgets have these?) and see if that helps.

Yes, midgets have them. They're square-headed nuts behind the wheel.

In the
>unlikely event that the brakes are really frozen you are going to have to
>disassemble, replace any questionable parts (linings, wheel cylinders) and
put
>it all back together - but I doubt that you have that problem.

Well, in the process of inspecting the brakes for trouble, I did find a
damaged rubber boot on one of the wheel cylinders. Leaking quite a bit of
fluid. Not sure if I'm up to the job. I'm a real novice, and this looks
both messy and critical.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate the patience.

Pete