Re: Fuel Injection

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 98 10:58:15 PDT
Jay wrote:

>Since their seems to be a lack of enthusiasm among Brit car aftermarket
>companies to design fuel injection systems, I thought I'd send out some
>feelers.
>
>Who would be willing to help me study the feasibility of a fuel injection
>system for the

Jay, (and all)

I've spent some time researching fuel injection.  As an embedded systems
engineer for a design house, and a rabid car fanatic, I have some interest
in microprocessors in cars.  (However right at this moment I'm working on a
rally odometer, I'm just not impressed with the junk on the market right
now)  I've considered a couple of fuel injected MG ideas.  1)  FIAT X1/9
L-jetronic to
1500 Midget.  Why?  They're both 1500cc engines, and Team Sanctuary
autocrosses an injected X1/9.  2) Something for the
'B series, digital (instead of that old analog L-jet).  The last page ad
in the July/Aug '98 issue of "Grassroots Motorsports" from TWM shows
"New! SU and Zenith FI replacements Available early '98".  I haven't
checked that out (I've got access to milling machines, and I bet TWM
want big money for those) but their web site is:
http://www.twminduction.com/

The picture in the advert shows a pair of these cast aluminum bodies
lined up with an A or B series intake manifold.  If I was to fuel
inject an A or B series engine, I don't think I'd use a stock
manifold.  From David Vizard:  "Although it may seem difficult to
design a badly flowing twin carb intake manifold for the Series
'A' engine, it has been done, and here it is, the standard
Leyland item."

The first few issues this year of "Sportscar" (official SCCA publication)
had a series on EFI, because more folks are going that way with various
comp cars.  There are enough sources of aftermarket parts and kits so
that it is becoming popular, even on old cars.

These kits require some tuning.  Someone had mentioned (was that you
Jay?  I can convert 32 bit floating point in my head, but I can never
remember who said what!) that there were kits for VW, but not much
for Brit cars.  Yeah, because someone sees the market, however a
four cylinder aftermarket EFI system is a four cylinder aftermarket
EFI system.  Only thing with the A and B engines would be dealing
with the siamesed intake ports.

I personally want to design and build an ECU, primarily because while
I've done all sorts of control systems, I've never done an ECU.  (Using
ECU in the fuel injection control computer sense)

I think the "lack of enthusiasm" you see is a filtered viewpoint due to
the typical American enthusiast.  Somewhere I've got a Brit rally car
mag with a Mini with twin over-head cam and EFI on an 'A' block.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/