Re: fuel injection

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: fuel injection
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 09:35:19 -0700
Robert Allen wrote:

 Actually, though, it would seem that a simple fuel injection
> system would be easily adaptable to both the 'B' motor and the 'A' series

One already exists for the 'A' series, use that made for the 998cc MINI,
been in production since 1990. Its a single point ROVER designed system,
should fit a Midget.

> As a computer geek, I hate to admit that I know nothing of the computer
> devices needed to run the deal, though. It would seem that with two sensors,
> 180 out, you could fire both injectors at the same time. This will waste one
> pulse

Modern EFI systems are not timed anymore, they 'pulse' their injections
towards the valves, to suit the intake requirements. This makes them a
lot cheaper to produce.The ejectors are simply solenoids that the EMS
tells to when to open, and for how long, in mili-seconds.

> As a side note, the Triumph TR-5 had a fuel injected

A lucas effort using WW2 fighter plane technology, similar to that
fitted to the Sptifire Merlin engine, and after to the Shackleton
Griffon engine, ( and many more.) It was a brave effort, but MECHANICAL,
and doomed.

Neil.