Re: Fuel Injection

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 98 23:47:09 PDT
Harlan Jillson wrote:

> (I wish I could remember exactly where on the net...), took great
> pains to discuss the problems of getting a late model port EFI
> to work right on the shared intake ports.

Harlan, if you can find that article, please let me know.
More below.

and cgmoog@ibm.net wrote:

>IMHO using port injection on a Siamesed inlets is asking for trouble.
>While the throttle body injection (along with most carbed systems) will
>tend to run 2 and 3 lean; and 1 and 4 rich port injection has the
>potential of allowing all of the fuel to be taken by one set of
>cylinders while the others are starved for fuel (unless your fuel timing
>is well matched to the valve events).

Not an attack, merely an invitation for discussion...why do you think
it would be trouble?  I think it would be a problem is one were to
try to use an existing ECU, but a programmable unit should run
port injection on an A or B series engine with no probs.  It'd
take some extra tinkering because there's not many folks doing
it.

Of course, best case would be the crossflow head approach,
if for no other reason the increased flow of this head.  Which
brings us full circle, to the comment I had made earlier about
consideration of doing an injected crossflow 'B.  Someone had
commented on how such mods would place one in a "modified" class
in most competition, well, yes.  But then, for instance, SCCA
Solo II (autocrossing) Street Prepared (the first step away from
stock) allows for any (normally aspirated) induction system.  If
a fellow wanted to run the best SP MGB, he might choose to
work on an injection system.  (Same is true of the SCCA classes
I mentioned in my earlier posts.)  Why not go with another car?

Well, folks, that becomes an question of taste and style.  The
goal isn't to build or buy the "best" car, the goal is to have
the best of *your* car.  (at least to folks like me who are
in this car thing for fun)  I mean, the same could be said
of everyone on this mailing list:  "gee, you spend so much
time on that old MG, why not go and buy a new Del Sol?"

Some of you folks choose to restore yours to like new
condition and take 'em to shows.  It'd be much easier to
buy a car that *is* new.  I choose to take old MGs and see
how far I can push them under racing rules that are open
to *all* cars, not just vintage events.  I know I have fun,
and if I'm lucky I just might be able to beat a few of those
"better" new cars with those two letters everyone here loves
so much.

Safety fast,

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/