Re: New MG

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New MG
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:47:04 +0100
On 15/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>I think that MG could compete in these circles given a decent car line.  A
>redesigned F would make a great Midget and a decontented (is that a word)
>Z-3 with MG(A) styling cues (I think the present Z-3 is ugly as sin) would
>make a good B replacement.  Leave the FWD in the family cars and the new
>Mini (the original hot hatch).  In America, sports cars are RWD.

It's interesting to read your comments about FWD. Gerry McGovern said to
me that he didn't believe that people today really cared about where the
engine and drivetrain is, so long as the car handles well. What do other
people think?

Personally, I think it's a shame that the F will be the one and only
mid-engined MG. And, interestingly, the last one to be designed before
BMW came along.

Actually, the MGF is substancially larger than a Midget. I'd like to see
a smaller MG along the lines of the Lotus Elise. Don't think it'll
happen, though.

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk