Re: New MG

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: New MG
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 00:36:57 EDT
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:55:08 -0400 "Mike Lishego"
<mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> writes:
>Gerry McGovern said
SNIP SNIP
>> I can only look to the ultimate in handling for vehicles - racing;
>>specifically purpose built racing machinery.
>> Good designers of racing cars (IE. F1, F2, F3000, etc) do not design
>>FWD. They design mid-engined RWD.
>> Now before someone jumps in and tell me about all the touring car
>series
>>that run FWD, I'm well aware that they do, BUT they have no choice;
>rules
>>limit them to the original drive system
>> In this country, NASCAR is a good example of what I'm getting at.
>All
>>current NASCAR racers, Winston Cup, Busch Grand National, etc, came
>from
>>the factory as FWD cars. The racing versions are all RWD.
>> As for me, IMHO FWD are for the grocery getters. RWD is for people
>who
>>like to drive cars.
>>
>>Rick Morrison
>
>    What does anyone think of a small all-wheel drive roadster?
>Subaru
>makes an AWD sedan (forget it's name) and they go like hell, all with
>minimal wheel slippage.  (Of course, if you DO break 'em loose it's a
>different story.)  The only reason I can think for automakers to stay
>away
>from AWD is a high price tag and more moving parts (hence more parts
>break).  FWIW, if MG came out with a roadster with AWD that could be
>turned
>off and on by the driver at will, they might satisfy more customers.
>I know
>that I'd that I'd have the AWD off and RWD on for 90% of the time.
>But, on
>a wet mountain road, four wheels of traction would be a blast (and Mom
>could
>drive it in the snow without fear!)  8-)
>
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

good point Michael,
 Like you, I suspect the reasoning has much to do with manufacturing
costs as anything.
 But theres another side too. The addition of an AWD system, would move
the car from a simple sport roadster in the $15-25K range, to a much more
complicated vehicle, with a substantially taller price tag, and with a
considerably lower possible market.
 The market for small sports cars is by definition, not a generous one,
and the addition of any "enhancement", would further reduce that possible
market potiental.
something no manufacturer's bean counters want to contemplate.
 Manufacturing costs too, IMHO, play a large part in the proliferation of
FWD cars on the market today. With standardization procedures in effect,
the assembly costs of a FWD vehicle (all other things being equal) would
probably be less than a RWD, as the entire drive train can be installed
as one unit, along with the front suspension and most of the steering
components.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget