Re: MGA, refurbished all hydraulics - good report

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA, refurbished all hydraulics - good report
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:34:24 -0400
At 11:32 AM 9/21/98 EDT, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>So you see what I mean.  The first two responses I get to my question about
>brake fluid types and recommendations, and they are diametrically opposed!
>
>Skye, Why should synthetic give me a stiffer pedal if everybody says that it
>is more compressible than DOT4?  It would seem to me that the pedal would be
>more spongy.  I agree that you don't need to change it as often, but how bad
>will the pedal feel be?
>
>Ed, You didn't give me any plausible reason why Castrol is better than
>synthetic.  Just that your life depends on it. (Sorry. That's not a put down
>of the worth of your life!)  But how about an explanation?
>
>Anybody else want to spend 2 cents?  Is Castrol LMA DOT4?
>I assume DOT3 is out of the question.
>
>Allen Hefner
>(Looking at a '77 Midget on Wednesday!)
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>In a message dated 9/20/98 1:37:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, skye@ffwd.bc.ca
>writes:
>
><< If you're going to be rebuilding/flushing the system anyway, you might
> as well switch over to DOT5 (synthetic), and not just for show cars --
> the low moisture absorbsion mean a stiffer pedal and less frequent
> changes, and it doesn't eat paint which is quite nice when you have an
> expensive paint job.  As far as racing, I'm not sure what specifications
> the high-temp fluids come in...
>
> Skye
>  >>
>In a message dated 9/20/98 1:37:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
justbrits@aol.com
>writes:
>
>I do it for a living.  Would not touch silicone for the several
>million dollar policy I have to carry if my [sic] life depended
>on it.
>
>                Castrol GT/LMA
>
>Period.
>
>Cheers.........
>
>           Ed

To those scientist out there: I always thought liquids could not be
compressed, thus no difference with silicon or dot 3 or dot 4 or even pure
water. No?

I thought the properties that we care about are the absorption of water,
boiling points and harm to rubber and paint. I have been using both dot 4
and dot 5 in different MGs for 10 years. I haven't had problems with either
one of them ,including the Dot 5 and its alleged effects on rubber. Please
enlighten me,

Mike