Re: Distributors

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:13:40 EDT
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:09:14 EDT WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

>Getting back to the original subject, distributors, I have one more
>rather
>interesting and puzzling event to relate. On my MGC, I once had an
>electrical
>failure that stopped the car while running. I thought that the points
>had
>closed down (one reason that I use an Ignitor device in my race cars,
>by the
>way), and it took me a fair bit of cranking and head scratching before
>determined that the drive dog had sheared off the bottom of the
>distributor. I
>just took the guts out of the 6 cylinder one and installed them in a 4
>cylinder housing I had, and was on my way, but it was the first time
>that I
>had ever had that particular problem. Has anyone else experienced this
>, and
>if so did they ever determine what was going on? I would have thought
>that the
>oil hole on the side of the distributor would be sufficient to keep
>the shaft
>lubricated, but perhaps not.

Bill, just where did the drive dog shear off? was it just above the dog,
or where.
 I've never had that particular thing happen, nor had I heard of it
before now.
My concern is that given the age of our cars, and the components therof,
it may be something I should be taking a closer look at when ever I have
a distributor out for whatever reason.
 Heck, if it happened to you, it could happen to someone else, and I
don't want it to be me!

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget