Re: Distributors

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:10:19 EDT
In a message dated 22/09/98 5:14:05 PM EST,  gofastmg@juno.com writes:

<< Bill, just where did the drive dog shear off? was it just above the dog,
 or where.
  I've never had that particular thing happen, nor had I heard of it
 before now.
 My concern is that given the age of our cars, and the components therof,
 it may be something I should be taking a closer look at when ever I have
 a distributor out for whatever reason.
  Heck, if it happened to you, it could happen to someone else, and I
 don't want it to be me!

Rick, it was a few years ago and I don't recall exactly where it sheared, but
believe that it was the shaft just above the drive dog. It would happen if the
upper shaft in the bush seized (as had happened) and the cam just twisted the
bottom of the shaft off.
I have never heard of it happening myself, and the engine had been rebuilt by
me a couple of years prior, at which time I of course checked the shaft for
wear in the bush. So I don't think it is too likely to occur to anyone else
but I just found it rather curious.

By the way, if you _do_ have a bit of wear in your shaft, so that the point
gap is not reliable, and you can rock the shaft back and forth, you can still
convert it to a magnetic trigger like the Pertronics one which is not
dependent on a consistent gap for timing, even if you don't rebuild the
distributor or can't easily find a new bush for it.

Bill