Re: Distributors

To: boballen@sky.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:54:25 EDT
In a message dated 21/09/98 3:28:03 PM EST,  boballen@sky.net writes:

<< If you only want a single answer, join a religon.

**A gratuitous and irrelevant comment.

 Here is another vote for the Mallory Dual Point. Mine is running just great
 on my 3-liter C motor and I wouldn't trade it for a Lucas or one of the
 electronic gizmos. I find the distributor well made, easily adjustable, easy
 parts availablility, and a great period performance accessory.

**I never said that they didn't work adequately, but it is by no means a
performance accessory in the sense that it improves performance over the stock
distributor. It is more along the lines of the ersatz performance image given
by an alloy valve cover - it impresses those that don't know any better.

You seemed to have posted your response wanting to make some point about the
Mallory distributor, but aside from a statement that said that you haven't had
any trouble with your distributor, a claim completely consistent with my
original post, you don't seem to have added a thing to the discussion.  I
assume that if you had any concrete evidence that the Mallory was in any way
superior to the Lucas part, you would have had no difficulty articulating that
opinion.

As for parts availability, my friend with a race car would disagree - when he
had the Mallory foul up at the track, there were no available parts at any
nearby store, and of the dozen or so BMC cars running that weekend, none of
them had a Mallory to offer spares.
I guess they had all found a source of parts for the Lucas to allow them to
rebuild them to new spec, and didn't feel the need to re-invent the figurative
wheel.

Bill S.