Re: Metal Dash Originality Quiz

To: renevm@support.neth.hp.com
Subject: Re: Metal Dash Originality Quiz
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
At 10:36 AM 9/28/98 +0200, Rene wrote:

>Hi Ross,

<SNIP>

>What type of paint did you use for the dash? Can spray?

Hi Rene,

I first brazed up a couple holes drilled by some DPO then bead blasted the
whole dash.  I gave both front and back a coat of "Rustoleum" flat black
spray then painted the front with "PlastiCoat" wrinkle finish, also in a spray.

Having seen the previous threads on wrinkle paint on the list I first
stashed the dash at work in an area with an ambient temperature of 55 C
(@140F)  for 24 hours then, following the instructions on the can, gave it
three heavy coats at 10 minute intervals.  Nothing happened.  The paint
smoothed over into a nice gooey, gloss black.  Frustrated and annoyed I
decided to try more heat so I used a hot air gun, similar to a hair dryer,
to try to speed up the drying.  After only a few seconds of heat with the
gun the finish started to wrinkle nicely.  With the exception of a spot or
two on the very bottom, where the bottom brackets will attach, it came up
beautifully.  I'm very pleased with the resuls.  I bought two cans of this
stuff and, even with some attempts at touch up on the bottom section where
it didn't wrinkle, I didn't need the second can.

Cheers,
Ross   MacPherson
TC 3528
Surrey, BC, Canada