Re: Starter Relay

To: <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Relay
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@hubserv.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:29:53 -0500
Ross:

A relay has 4 basic terminals:

1.  a hot lead from the "switch" (ie - it receives 12 volts when you turn
the key)
2.  A ground  (so when you turn the key, 12 volts flows into the relay,
energizes an electromagnet, and completes the circuit)
3.  a hot lead that is unswitched (ie - 12 volts from the battery)
4.  a terminal that connects to the device you want to control (ie - the
starter)  (Sometimes, this terminal is duplicated)

Basically what happens is you turn the key and 12 volts goes to the relay.
The electromagnet energizes, and being a magnet, attracts a metal arm
(switch).  When this switch closes, 12 volts flows from terminal 3 to
terminal 4.  Voila, your starter now has juice.

The relay should have a schematic molded into it.  Your job is o find what
wires are what.

I'm also going to forward this to the list.  I learned about relays when I
was a kid by taking them apart and playing with them.  I'd hate to pass any
innacuracies along.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB

"Appreciate your Father.  You wouldn't believe what I saw today."