RE: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)

To: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Subject: RE: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:55:34 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:

>Ok, so having seen several responses, how does one know that they are
>getting service above and beyond. I would expect as part of the job
>that the tow fella would naturally take care of the car and ensure
>that the right tow job was done, and precautions were heeded to not
>scratch or hurt the car. Why would I tip a guy for doing what was, as
>far as I would think, is just a part of the job?
>
>Not trying to be inflamatory, just trying to understand...
>
>Clayton Kirkwood
>(916) 663-2368
>kirkwood@garlic.com

I think the only way you can understand is by having a really bad
experience and a good experience. All to often the good guys and the
bad guys are paid the same wage. I think that the good guys deserve a
little extra. You can all do as you wish, these are just my opinions. I
tip the guy who delivers fuel oil to my home, the fellow at the
beverage store who helps me carry stuff out to the car and even the
garbage collectors periodical. It's just my way of letting them know
that there efforts are greatly appreciated. If it were not for the tips
I "earn" I would not be able to afford to do this for a living. I would
say that it's a 50/50 split on tips, in other words, half the people I
service I'm tipped by. I will also tell that the people who tip are
also the more pleasant people w/ upbeat personalities. I can tell with
in the first 30 second on a call whether there is a tip coming at that
call's end. So that's about all I have to say on this subject.

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch