Re: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 00:50:03 EDT
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:25:59 -0400 "Mike Lishego"
<mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> writes:
>>I think the only way you can understand is by having a really bad
>>experience and a good experience. All to often the good guys and the
>>bad guys are paid the same wage. I think that the good guys deserve a
>>little extra.
>
>Along these lines, has anyone else ever had a terrible tow, only to
>have the
>driver ask "Where's the tip?"

It happened to my son, with me in attendence.
 #2 son, driving his 'Vette (the car he had wanted since he was old
enough to know the difference) managed to spin on a rain slicked road and
slide off the shoulder, down a gentle embankment and come to rest against
a chain link fence. Only damage (besides his ego) was a small tear in the
convertible top.
 The investigating officer kindly offered to call a tow company and Mike
requested one that had experience with Corvettes.
 Driver shows up with latest thing in rollbacks, neat rig and all. He on
the other hand looked like something from Deliverence". "Yup, hauled a
bunch of them Corvettes"
 Bubba figures with the wet grass, the best way would be to use the cable
and pull the car up to the road. Hooks the cable to the front A-arm and
proceeds to wind up the slack.
 Mean while, Mike and I are talking with the officer about fileing the
needed paperwork with the State so the hook up is not noticed by us.
 Driver shouts "is it out of gear?"
 "Yes, and the hand brake is off", as we turn to watch the proceedings.
 To my horror, Bubba is pulling the car at an angle nearly parallel to
the fence line. Before we can stop him he has dragged the car about 20
feet along the fence, gouging the front fender and door, ripping the
moulding off the side, and breaking the side mirror off.
 The patrolman turned to Mike and said "Should I hold you back? It looks
like you are about ready to kill somebody"
 After I stopped him and had him move to a more logical angle to pull the
car, and re-hooking the cable myself, we got the car, which was still
very much drivable, on the road.
 So-called experienced tow truck operator then had the b**ls to ask did
we want to pay  cash, check or charge card!
 Needless to say, he got none of the above.
 In fact, it ended up costing his company 2600 bucks to repair the
damage.
 I later found out from a fellow LBCer that he had used the same guy to
deliver his 77B to a shop for repairs and the driver had unloaded the car
by tilting the roll back, and letting the B roll off on it's own into the
lot. He also forgot to close the door which remained attached to the car
but against the front fender when it hit another car in the lot. That one
cost the tow company a bunch too!
 I understand that company is no longer in the towing business.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget