Re: Dead new family member...

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dead new family member...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 16:39:27 -0700 (MST)
On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:06:16 -0500, Chris Chandler wrote:

>It cranks but doesn't fire.  At this point the only thing I can think of
>is that it isn't getting spark.  Could someone explain to me how I would
>go about checking for spark?

There are at least two ways.  You can pick which one you want to use.

One:  Pull of a spark plug wire; sick a phillips screw driver about the
same size as the tip of your plug into the wire contact.  Then hold
onto the metal part of the screw driver with one hand and lean
(preferably in shorts) against the side of the car.  Then have a helper
turn the ignition over. The person who is turning the engine over will
be able to tell you if there is a spark if you are not sure.    If you
did get a spark, and are willing to continue more with option one, pull
a plug out, hold tightly to the metal base, continue leaning against
the car and have the helper turn the engine over again.  As with before
the helper should be able to tell you if there was a spark if you
missed it.

Two: Pull of a spark plug wire; sick a phillips screw driver about the
same size as the tip of your plug into the wire contact.  Then hold
onto the INSULATED part of the screwdriver.  Hold the metal part of the
screw driver close the a ground on the car.  (The air rail is pretty
easy to reach from where you will be if you still have one.)  Don't
ground yourself to the car or anything else. (Unless you want to try to
make things a little more interesting.)  Have a helper turn the engine
over.  If there is spark you will see it jump between the screw driver
and the ground.  If you aren't seeing any move it to a point where it
is almost touching the ground and keep watching.  (It is ok to touch
the ground accidentally in my experience.)  If you do get a spark, pull
the plug out, stick it in the wire; ground the metal base of the plug
and see if there is a spark when the engine is turned over.  (The
helper won't be able to tell you if there was a spark using this
method.

If case you are wondering option one really will work, it won't kill
you.  (Unless maybe you already have a bad heart...)  And you will
REALLY know if there is spark, and you probably will go with option
two, unless you liked it...

:)

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com