Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au
Subject: Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:33:35 EST
Hey Mike,
 I wasn't flaming you, just getting the point about SU's
 The HIF is a good carb, and I don't have a good excuse to get rid of
mine.
 HS's have their share of problems, but in good condition, they ain't bad
either.
 I've got a set of HS2's on the Midget, and after a bit of needle
juggling initially (the engine has been "slightly" hotted up so the
original needles didn't make it), I've had very little problems out of
them.
 I've also got several customers who run DGV's, and carb problems is not
one of the things they complain about.
 Like you, I've no ax to grind either.

All the dyno tests I've ever seen quantify what you've experienced "seat
of the pants". The DCOE does give some small HP gain on the top end, but
was even with SU's in the mid range, and in fact, one showed that the
HIF6 on a 1320 A-series actually gained more HP in the mid range than it
gave up on top end, versus the DCOE.
I've never seen a side by side test of the DGV vs SU, but my gut feeling
is the DGV would not seem so impressive.

I agree, a race car is the ideal place for the DCOE. HP is the name of
the game, especially as we tend to run at the upper end of the tach.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget