Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose

To: "MG list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose
From: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:14:02 -0800
I think it would really help clarify the debate on Weber vs SU if we could
all be more specific about WHICH Weber we mean-  There is a big difference
between a single sidedraft Weber  and a DGV Weber on an MG.  It is my
impression that there are many more people who convert to a DGV than a DCOE-
yet the debate always seems to lump the two together.  Apples and oranges.
That being said, on my last '78 B the original ZS was trashed, and sucked so
much air around the throttle shaft that you could actually hear it whistling
at certain throttle angles.  After pricing new and rebuilt ZS carbs, and
considering simplicity and performance, I installed a header and a Weber DGV
downdraft carb.  The car ran beautifully with the DGV right out of the box,
never required any adjustment after setting the idle once, with great
throttle response and very good economy.
My choice of carb was partly based on my experience running a DGV on a 2
liter Ford cammer putting out aroung 125-130 hp.  I was able to do some very
socially unacceptable things turning 7500 RPM in a relatively lightweight
'72 Pinto...(There, I've said the "P" word  ;-) )

Scott Pontius
yet another '78 B, now with 8 cylinders and fuel injection
Los Angeles