Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose

Subject: Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:57:22 +1000
Hi,

>>for about $400-$450 while a new set of SU's is about $600.  This is from

Really?? There's a place here in Sydney that has a lot of new SU stock ex
factory. They charge around $450 AUD for a pair of HS4's not incl linkage
(like $30), manifold and heat shield (erm $70). I think thats around $285 US
dollars just for the carbs seeing as our $ sucks at the moment. Oh yeah,
these are new orig MGB carbs.

Oh! I finally got one of my Carbs back together last night thanks to
Lawrie's video! I had to freeze frame it a few times, especially when
reconnecting the choke assembly but I managed to get it all done (at 3am!).
Centering the jet was an experience, took me a while. Biggest problem I had
was my stupid mistakes! I forgot tighten the dashpot to the carb body before
centering, and even with the jet seemingly centered, the additional tension
when I tightend the dashpot was enough to throw off the alignment. I also
had trouble with the jet moving when I attached the choke linkage to the
bottom of the jet. I later realised I hadn't tightened the jet locking nut
quite enough (I was worried about damaging the body etc). After all that I
have one very, clean very well working carb! Now for the other one. I did
run into one interesting dilema, when the carb body was rebushed, the insert
had not been faced off to the body well enough, so the washer between the
body and linkage was binding the spindle when tightened - preventing it from
moving. After some consideration I removed the spindle and faced the excess
bushing off to the body using a small file. This worked perfectly! I hope
all goes well with the other carb, it's not even clean yet... *sob*!!

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia