Fuel Pump Problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Pump Problems
From: "Craig Brownlee" <Craig_Brownlee@ong.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:07:11 -0600

Oh wise and experienced LBC'rs.....   While enjoying the great weather we
are having here in Oklahoma my 77 MGB started acting like it was out of
fuel but if I sat for a few minutes it would run ok again.  I still had
fuel so my first thought was that fuel filter was clogged.  I changed it
out and I drove about 5 miles and it did it again.  Once again if I sat for
a few minutes it would run ok.  Before I could get home though it got
worse.  I remembered people talking about fuel pump problems and having to
rap the pump a couple of times to get it to work.  (BTW by this point I
would have no fuel to the filter at all.)  I would tap the fuel pump and i
could hear it click a couple of times...   I would drive half a mile and do
it again.  Finally made it home.

My question is this.  How do you test the fuel pump?  If it really is the
pump do you rebuild them or do I call my favorite supplier of parts and
just get a new one?

Thanks in advance for the information,

Craig Brownlee
77 MGB