Re: Gauge Problem

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Gauge Problem
From: mup1dm <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 98 12:21:00 +0000
John Griffen wrote:
Subject: Gauge Problem

>Also I sometimes smell a gas leak...

There were two unrelated causes to the petrol smell in my MGB-GT.
One was a leaky tank. Many have rust holes on the TOP of the tank
due to accumulation of muck thrown up from the road, mine also had
been reversed at speed into a curb, creating a nice curb-shaped
dent in the tank.

The previous owner's solution was to never fill the tank past
halfway. (My solution was a new replacement for $300, but I suppose
I might have chosen a cheaper option.)

Second cause was from the dis-connected emmissions system. The
cannister (on the right side of the car near the bulkhead in the
engine bay) exists to store evaporated fuel until it can be
sucked into the engine and burned. Mine (courtest of the previous
owner) lacked the hoses between the cannister and carb, so it
just filled up and dribbled. One solution is to run a hose down
into the airstream under the car, where the airflow over the hose
may create enough suction to harmlessly vent the fuel. My solution
was to connect a hose between the cannister and the base of the
aircleaner (I'm using a non-original Weber carburator, so there is
no appropriate hose-attachment point otherwise.)

Know that the fuel pump is in the right rear fender. Other points
to check for leaks are the 'inertial cutoff' and the fuel filter.

Douglas McKinnie ->(Guildford, UK)
  1972 MGB-GT    ->(Cleveland, OH)