Gauge Problem

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gauge Problem
From: john.griffen@savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:43:41 -0500
Greetings from Savannah, Georgia:

     I just purchased my first MGB  (1980).   I am not very experienced
with electronics except installing a few radios.  The tachometer does not
respond normally....I have to tap the gauge for it to register
normally.....any suggestions?    Also the gas gauge does'nt seem to be
working right either.   When I fill up....it registers Full.....this after
only about 45  minutes of driving...the gauge falls normally
then.........after 5 minutes more its on the empty line.   I refill the gas
tank but It only needed 5 gallons so it could'nt be losing gas like that.
Also I sometimes smell a gas leak...is this related?   Thanks in advance

John Griffen
1980 mgb