Re: Snow chains

To: Andrew Errington <ame@synaptics.com>
Subject: Re: Snow chains
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:41:02 -0500
Andrew Errington wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can anyone send me details on what to buy, or what to look for when buying
> snow chains or cables?

  From my experience dealing with people who don't normally
drive in snow, the simple answer is just "slow down".

  Most people I see from warm climates drive 90 in a 55
when it's nice out. Then think "oh my it's snowing out"
and continue to drive 90 in a 55.

  Or... then they think "I need snow tires or something
so I can still safely drive 90 in a 55!".

  Accept that you might have to drive 15mph to work, the
whole way, and that's the first step in snow driving. ;>

  I live in Canada, where winter is inevitable, snow is
measured by the meter, and chains and studs are illegal
because of the damage they do to roads. You can drive. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca