Re: Snow chains

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>, "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Subject: Re: Snow chains
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:49:35 -0800
Yes, but you also have salt!  I would guess that California is much like
Washington state in that we don't have much in the way of snow removal
equipment and less in the way of de-icers.  Studs and chains are legal
here.  Studs are overkill for Andrew's requirements, but it is probably a
good idea to have a set of chains in the trunk for mountain driving.

Andrew, go to a good auto parts store.  Chains are sold according to tire
size.  If you run radials, make sure you get cable chains (regular tire
chains eat up radials).  Installing them is pretty easy, but practice once
or twice in your garage.  It gets a lot trickier installing them on the
side of the road, at night, in a blizzard.

Trevor is correct in that, in most cases, they aren't necessary.  But they
are life-savers in those rare instances where you can't get traction and
parking on the side of the road isn't an option.

Regards,
Scott McKorkle
1978 MGB