Re: "Crack of Doom"

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom"
From: "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:16:39 -0400
Trevor,

Below is your treatment of the crack of doom from a while back,  How
about a progress report?  Has this worked out?  Any reapearance?  Things
that you would do differently?

I am in the process of reskining my doors and have welded in plates much
in hopes to avoid future problems.

Thanks
Paul Murch
64B

Quote from long e-mail

"What I did was to put a plate of steel behind the crack. I drilled
a half dozen holes in the doorskin on both sides of the crack, and
plug welded through them to attach the plate. Then weld up the crack,
also welding it to the plate in the process. The welded up crack will
hold, because the plate takes the "design defect" stress off the area.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/";