Re: "Crack of Doom"

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom"
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:53:44 GMT
>  The big reason why my test was not too tough though
>was that my car has no vent windows. (it has aeroscreens
>instead of a windshield)
>
>  The crack appears where it does because of stress
>caused by the vent window, which isn't there to help
>it reappear now.

AH HA! After reading Trevor's description, I think I may actually HAVE the
crack of doom, though to me, the fix described doesn't seem all that
difficult, so I don't see why such an appellation is affixed to the
problem. I assumed mine weren't stress cracks (and maybe they're not)
because they are little rust holes right at the back edge of the vent
windows, and my car sat for more than a decade outside...more likely they
were caused by water constantly running down the edge of the vent window.
But they could have started off as stress cracks. I don't know, does that
sound like the COD to other listers, or another type of problem? I've seen
rust at the rear corners of vent windows before, but never stress cracks...

Nevin