Valves & Motor removal.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valves & Motor removal.
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:46:08 +1000
Hi all,

Well, two significant events so far today - removed the valves from the
head. My god, once again Denise's suggestion was on the button. <G> A 1 1/8"
socket (first big one that fell to hand), a couple of decent whacks on the,
socket held over the collet and pow, the retainers just fell out. Apparently
you can reassemble this way too - hmm! Had all 8 valves off in 5 minutes!
The assumption I had was that the springs would fly up and whack me in the
face, (I had eye protection on) this was totally false as they came out very
easily at zero velocity.

My findings, the valve stems had carbon buildup - but get this - the two
exhaust valves on 2 & 3 chambers, came out complete with this sort of copper
sleeve attached! In #3 the copper sleeve was protruding right out into the
port!! This doesn't appear to be part of the guide itself. Can someone
explain what they might be? On #3, the sleve was moving *with* the valve!
Talk about friction, wear - power loss etc eh? I was considering trying to
punch the guides out, but I might leave for a shop to do when they refit the
new guides, seats etc.

I finally got myself an engine hoist - Hydraulic, 1 tonne capacity. Picture
this - the motor is stripped, no head, no sump, all ancilliary equipment
removed. What should I use to hold the engine and where should I attach it?
A chain? A sling? I'm worried about a chain slipping as I have nowhere to
really attach it too. (I worry a lot because this is my first engine removal
by myself) I'm not taking the gearbox out. So please, any advice people?

Cheers,
Neil.