Oil Pump Caution

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Oil Pump Caution
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:17:44 -0500

I've reassembled the Marina and have it running again. The rebuild was done
in the car and consisted of new rings, rod bearings and three of the main
bearings.  The two end mains are not accessible without removing the engine
from the vehicle. Only the centre main bearing showed any sign of wear
anyway (on the lower half shell).  The rod bearings only showed wear on the
upper half shell ( the thrust half).

The job went well except for one thing that may or may not be obvious to
many. Before the rebuild the car had good oil pressure and I did not intend
to replace the oil pump. Therefore I just set it aside during the repairs
and bolted it back in later.  Upon start-up however the car did not build
any oil pressure.  I had to move the sump and oil pump and fill the pump
with oil.  Upon restarting the car produced almost instant oil pressure.

Something to keep in mind.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada