Re: Oil Pump Caution

To: Fred Pixley <fpixley@kingston.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Caution
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:25:48 -0500
Fred Pixley wrote:
> Upon start-up however the car did not build
> any oil pressure.

  Suggest to turn the car over, plugs out, until pressure
occurs. The load on the big ends is much lower without
compression and power, so they don't suffer so much until
pressure gets up.

> I had to move the sump and oil pump and fill the pump
> with oil.

  Filling the pump with petroleum jelly can help, especially
if you don't expect to start it for a while as you carry
out other repairs.

  There is also a method to prime the pump from the outside
by pumping oil in a certain way... but I forget the method.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca