RE: MGB Overdrive??

Subject: RE: MGB Overdrive??
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:28:59 -0700
> MG is up to a quart of oil every tank full and compression is down to
> 110lbs.  Unfortunately, I don't have an overdrive installed yet...so, having
> to pay for the unit and the rebuild.  Local San Diego shop (British Motors)
> is rebuilding the engine and wants an additional $900 for a rebuilt
> overdrive.  Told the shop I would give them a decision on Monday.

Nick, Victoria British advertises OD units for $799.00 no core.  Remember,
installing an OD unit means a different transmission too; or at least
modifications to your existing trans.

> So, I'm not sure if the overdrive will really gain that much.  Since the
engine is balanced, do you think it will significantly increase   > the engine
life?

IMHO, an overdrive does not increase engine life, or MPG; it does however
improve driving comfort on long drives.  Yes, I do have experiance with the OD
unit, I used to have one in my 1969 which is now geting a "transplant".

Larry Hoy, Denver CO USA
1967 Vintage Racer
1970 MGB Roadster, driver
1969 MGB Roadster, converting to a V8
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com