Re: Why I use Mobil 1

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why I use Mobil 1
From: "Mike Venables" <mikevenables@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 23:40:32 PST

I agree.  I also use synthetic oil in my B, but I use Total
Quartz(similar stuff I guess).  It certainly does stay cleaner - no
black oil!  We had a rep. from Castrol at one of our MG meetings and he
explained the use of Castrol Futron as opposed to normal mineral based
oils.  In SA we generally don't have hugely varying temps. (esp. low
temps.) as in US or Europe so the lower viscosity is not as necessary
here as in colder climes.  It is definatley better for cold starts /
conditions.  Lasts longer as it doen't break down and lubes better as it
is more consistant through the temperature range.

Only problem is that in older cars with higher clearances in the engine(
or more worn engines), more oil will be consumed.  This is mainly
because these oils are thinner throughout the range and have been so
developed because of the advances in automotive technology requiring
better lubrication.

Regards
MJV

Bill wrote....

<<<

So, is synthetic worth it?   It is to me.  The negligible difference
in cost is offset by peace of mind.   The oil keeps the engine
cleaner, is more stable, and gets to the bearings faster on startup.
It is also wonderful to have your car start at 30 below F.  At that
temperature you can actually see the waxes in regular oil solidify.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA who doesn't have to start at 30 below and is very happy about
that.