RE: Oil Coolers - '80B

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: RE: Oil Coolers - '80B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:33:58 -0800
Gene:

        For normal use the low comp. smog B engine was determined by B.L.to
have enough oil cooling without a cooler.

        Adding a cooler is a very easy job to do and will give you an extra
comfort zone.

        The 10 row is the deepest (tallest?) cooler that will fit in the
cardboard ducting that fits from the front valence to the radiator.  Since
this is usually missing on Fed. spec cars you are on your own.  For the
street I think your best bet is to fit the 10 row and also fit the lower air
duct panel.

        When purchasing an oil cooler make sure it has the mounting ears are
at the top.  The original 13 row one used on the early cars had them on the
bottom only.  Most 10 and 13 row coolers sold now have ears in both
locations.

        Racing oils, from my fractured memory tend to have less detergents
as they are designed for limited life at high revs where you don't want
foaming and don't need the dirt suspension additives.
        They were the ticket for transmission use back in the days of yore.

        With oil as with grease, anything works so long as it is kept up.
Most of our LBCs' never saw the gooey side of a lube gun after they got out
of the dealership.  It's amazing they held up as well as they did.

Kelvin.