Oil Cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Cooling
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:09:11 EST
<>

Not to put too fine a point on it, Jim, but when it comes to MGs, you don't
know what you are talking about.
When you say that the 4 cylinder MG should not kneed an oil cooler, you are
flat out wrong.  The early 63 Bs were shipped to North America without coolers
and were such a warranty nightmare that the factory took the less expensive
measure of standardising an oil cooler - something that they would never have
done had it not been necessary.
Having raced various MG engines for (Gawd) 26 years, I can tell you first hand
exactly what oil temps certain cooling arrangements require, (yes, I do run a
temp gauge), and assure you that unless you are using a late model single carb
B and not driving hard at that (thought with the late cars it is difficult to
know whether someone is driving hard or not), you stand an excellent chance of
cooking your oil and bearings without a cooler. I have seen everything from
290 deg., briefly, before slagging down the engine, while running without a
cooler (it leaked in practice and we took it out - hey we were young and
ambitious, if not overly cautious) to 190 deg., which is what I usually run
with my giant Mazda rotary cooler (remember - they used oil spray on the
inside of the rotor as a significant cooling element) on the Twinkie.

I'd suggest that if your area of expertise is in the V8 converted cars, you
might want to stick to giving advice on what you know, and not extrapolate
into areas where it may not be valid, as was the case here.
Each engine is a little different. I drive a daily driver with a V6 that puts
out half again what your V8 does, and it does not require an oil cooler. Why
some run hot and others cool, is an engineering question that I would be
interested in hearing those with more engineering knowledge than I have,
comment on.  But let's not generalise so that some poor schmuck in Texas in
summer thinks you know what you are talking about, and goes out with his new B
without a cooler and turns it into Southern fried garbage. Sorry just won't do
it in those circumstances.

Bill S.