Re: Bent Bonnet (Hood)

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bent Bonnet (Hood)
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:01:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Eric Erickson wrote:

> Art Pfenninger wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Eric Erickson wrote:
> >
> > > a gust of wind caught the bonnet and tried to wrap it over the
> > > windscreen.
> >
> > I don't know if the support from a newer car would fit (don't
> > know why it wouldn't) but if it would then this would solve your
> > problem. They are made so that you have to push a button to lower
> > them, they are not just a stick.

I hated these buttons so much that I replaced all the prop struts with the
"hands-free" ones.  Whoo hoo!  They work great.  I've lost the one on the
bonnet after some friendly tourist backed over the car with a Minivan, and
I had to go to the "spare" bonnet (from a 69, with the actua prop rod).

I still have the hands-free prop rods in the trunks of both the Spitfire
and the MG, and love them.  My hands are often full when trying to close
the trunk.

> I have seen gas struts advertised for the boot but do they make these
> for the bonnet, too?  Not quite original equipment but it would at least
> stop the thing falling down (or UP) as the standard "stick" can
> sometimes do.

I suppose the lightness of the bonnet and boot would make them work a lot
better, but I've had a lot of negative experiences with gas struts on
glass rear decks (hatchbacks).  They get weak when cold, and weaker over
time... until they start releasing on their own and dropping the
(hatch/lid/whatever) on your head.  It would prevent the industry standard
crease in the left side of the boot lid, though.

 > These flaps of aluminium (aluminum) on the front of our cars are
> diabolically flimsy!

Even the steel ones are a lot less substantial than average.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock