Re: Cleaning Gas Tanks

To: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Gas Tanks
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:00:40 -0400
Ah, the flames are heating up, I can almost feel them.

Don't know the name of the product.  I was looking for a gallon of Muractic
(sp?) acid which I have used frequently in past for gas tank cleaning, both
on an MGA and on numerous motorcycles.  Went into the local Home Depot to
pick up a gallon, couldn't find any but the clerk kept on telling me "its
just outside the door next to the pool cleaning supplies."  The only thing
I found was this driveway cleaner that claimed to remove rust stains and
other stains from concrete.  So I figured, "rust stains" hey, I have rust,
just not stains -- heavy duty rust.  BUT, on the environmental note, I also
figured, if it is made to be applied directly to a driveway, maybe someone
has determined that it will not kill whales, dolphins, spotted owls, or
even the occasional small child that might come wandering into the area; so
maybe its not all bad.

It was somewhat heavier (viscosity) than the standard Muractic (again.,
sp?) that I have used frequently in the past.  And it did not produce the
fumes or the heat that the acid does, but it did clean just as well,
perhaps better.  And any dolphins or whales in the area are surely safer.

Cost about $13 per gallon; more than the muractic acid (I think I used to
buy that product for under $5 per gallon) but it ws what I found.  As an
aside, I first used the acid to clean grout off of ceramic tile when
remodeling a bathroom floor some 10-15 years ago; maybe I just looked in
the wrong section of Home Depot that day.

I will undertake to re-visit the scene of the crime (purchase) and see if I
can better identify the product.  But I do know it worked, great.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA