Re:Cleaning Gas Tanks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Cleaning Gas Tanks
From: WF Smith <mogrits@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 07:22:00 -0400
Please don't use the suction end of a vacuum to dry a solvent laden gas
tank. Vacuum Cleaner motors are notorious spark generators, and would
basically work like a small jet engine with enough solvent in the air
passing through. If you have to "power dry" it, use the outlet of the
vacuum. When working on our antique tractors, we often put pea gravel
(approximatley 3/4" stones) in our dry tanks and shake, rattle and roll
them around to break up and remove the rust and scale. Pour out the
gravel and rust, then use your tank cleaner of choice. I've used
eastwoods tank cleaner and sealer with great sucess. I ordered it direct
from an ad in Hemmings, but I think J.C. Whitney carries the same
product.

Warren