Re: Thermostat Differences and dumb things

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Thermostat Differences and dumb things
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:11:51 -0700
Hi all,

I've run a 160 degree thermostat in my '67B in Southern California for lo these
many years.  The car runs consistently at 170 degrees.  The only benefit to this
over a 180 degree thermostat is that I have the extra time it takes the car to
heat up those extra ten degrees before the car overheats when stuck in traffic.
Even though the thermostat is open all time, it still restricts the coolant flow
enough to prevent the problems associated with having no thermostat.

The down side to this is that, in cold weather, the car never heats up enough to
run well.  If the car doesn't get up to 170, it dies at idle.  When I get
someplace with better weather and traffic, I plan to put a 180 degree thermostat
in.  The optimum would be a 170 degree thermostat, but these aren't available.

In one of my attempts to solve the Southern California traffic overheating
problem, I had a three row core put in a B radiator.  But I stupidly left it in
the car that went to Norway so I have no idea if this would have helped or not.
The car also had a 160 degree thermostat.  The poor guy who bought it is still
probably trying to figure out why the car won't warm up. :-}

So, I'm still driving with a 160 degree thermostat and I just stop and do my
water jug dance over the radiator when the car gets too hot in traffic.  It
probably looks a lot like a one-person Chinese Fire Drill.

Just my exciting experiences in B driving. :-}

Denise Thorpe