Re: packaway to folding conv

To: "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: packaway to folding conv
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:40:52 -0700
Hmmm, I think I read somewhere that "the hood is completely different and
not interchangeable" or words to that effect. For one thing, I can't see
how your packaway hood would attach to the rear cowling (it can't fold up
while attached to all those "lift-the-dot" fasteners, at any rate). But
then, I've never had the folding type to deal with, so I don't know what
kind of arrangement it has.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could get the hood into that tight roll
like it shows in the manual. Then it would only take up half the boot.
Thinking about it, I wonder if they used a much more supple vinyl on the
original hoods. I just inherited an original equipment tonneau from a '69
(it had shrunk too far to get over the "Abingdon pillow", but it reaches
to my snaps just fine), and the fabric backing is much heavier than the
10-year-old VB tonneau that just gave out, but the vinyl itself, although
ancient, is much more supple and pliable than the VB one was when new.
Meaning, instead of struggling to fold it into a rough square for
storage, I can easily roll it up into a tight tube. Now I want one of
those storage covers -- anyone got an old one they don't need? (ha ha)

Skye Poier had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149