Re: Occasional missing in 73 B

To: karl.shultz@ibm.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Occasional missing in 73 B
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:32:15 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/99 9:37:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
karl.shultz@ibm.net writes:

<< baaaaaaaahhhhhhhh    aaahhhh   aaaaaaahhhhhhhh   aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

 And then it would go away for another thirty miles.  It felt loke
 someone was in there pulling the wire off the coil occasionally.  It has
 no pattern - not related to ambient temperature, engine speed, or
 anything.

 And it's getting worse...I actually don't want to drive the car any
 distance at this point, for fear of a long walk home.  Any ideas?  I'm
 thinking it could be either fuel delivery or ignition (or both?), but
 without a pattern, it's hard to reproduce when the car is parked. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Always start with the simple stuff.  When was the last tune up?  Look for a
fouled plug that is misfiring.  Do you use di-lectric grease on the plug
wires to keep out corrosion?  I've seen lots of engines that will idle fine,
and misfire under higher revs.  Usually caused by a plug going bad or a set
of points wearing out.

A simple tune up - points, plugs, condenser, rotor, maybe a dist. cap -
should be the first place to look.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport