Re: Broken TD

To: mrazor@kih.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Broken TD
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 10:18:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/4/99 7:10:06 AM Central Daylight Time, mrazor@kih.net
writes:

<< I knew it was to good to be true.  Got 15 miles from home in the TD,
 stopped at an intersection and it would not go.  No big noise,
 shifted in gear, let out the clutch and it did not go, of course
 this was a major intersection.  I pushed it off to the side of the
 road, checked the clutch linkage, that had previously fallen out
 after the loss of a clevis pin, it was working, care would go in and
 out of gear but was not getting any power to the rear wheels.
 What gave out?  An axle? The rear diff?  How can I troubleshoot with
 out taking it all apart?
 Thanks!
 Mike R >>

Mike,

I had this happen just after I bought my MGB 14 years ago. I finally pulled
the engine and found the splined center of the pressure plate had separated
from the rest of it.

My younger son vividly remembers this early ride when, as I went through all
gears, I kept muttering "absolutely nothing."

I suspected that some idiot might have mistook the B for a muscle car and
been popping the clutch to get some rubber.

Let me know what you find out.

R. Johnson - Dallas