Re: Broken TD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Broken TD
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Mike Razor wrote to mgs@autox.team.net:

> I knew it was to good to be true.  Got 15 miles from home in the TD,
> stopped at an intersection and it would not go.  No big noise, shifted
> in gear, let out the clutch and it did not go, of course this was a
> major intersection.  I pushed it off to the side of the road, checked
> the clutch linkage, that had previously fallen out after the loss of a
> clevis pin, it was working, care would go in and out of gear but was
> not getting any power to the rear wheels. What gave out?  An axle? The
> rear diff?  How can I troubleshoot with out taking it all apart?

Start the engine, shift into first gear, and let out the clutch.  Does the
speedometer register speed even though you're standing still?  If so,
you've probably broken a half-shaft in the rear axle.  It's a common
T-Type problem.

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net