Re: Is MG wiring evil?

To: Kimo Tichgelaar <77mgb@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Is MG wiring evil?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:46:14 -0700
HI Kimo,

      The wiring harnesses from British Wiring are excellent products (flame
suit on). Most wiring problems in our lbc's are inflicted by careless handling.
The gauge of the wire is at least adequate for the designed current load but
some folks like to stick on gadgets without thought of the wire size.

At least once you should assure that all of the chassis grounds are good, clean
connections.  (There really aren't very many of them.)  Take a few minutes once
in a while to pull apart, clean, and reassemble some of the bullet connectors.
There are a couple of threads in the archives on how to do this.  Don't let an
alarm installer cut any of your wires.  Check the wiring diagram, you can always
find a place to tap in using bullet connectors or spade connectors.  Take the
time to become familiar with the wiring diagram and the various wire colors.

     If your present harness is at all ratty, or shows signs of having been
butchered by a DPO,  replace it with a new one.  They're not cheap, but Ed Kaler
of JustBrits gives list members a good discount on British Wiring harnesses.

     The above is , obviously IMHO, but I have to admit to being an OF EE. As
they say -- YMMV.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB (110 miles/day commuter)