RE: Reproduction Fenders from Moss

To: BMack <bmack99@home.com>
Subject: RE: Reproduction Fenders from Moss
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:46:54 -0700
Bryce:

        Unless BMHT is now able to legally put ROVER labels on their
products, then I am assuming that the BGT fenders on the shelf here with
factory labels are original. :)

Don:

        We have been working with a local customer who has installed a pair
of factory fenders on his 69 MGC.  The fit up at the windshield edge was
very difficult to make acceptable.  The supplied fenders appear to be
consistant and it is difficult to tell if this is unique to his vehicle or a
tooling problem.

        There is a lot of movement in both the fender and in the inner wing
structure of the vehicle, so fit and adjustment is required any time a
fender is replaced.  You cannot throw any MGB fender on a car and just start
tightening bolts.  When you remove a fender you will find all kinds of shims
and sealant used by the factory to get correct fit.  If it is possible to
salvage the origininal sheetmetal, then in all cases that is the best way to
go.  Today's collision shops are not usually staffed with careful fitters
who are able to correctly fit sheet metal at reasonable labor rates.
Getting the fit and lines "right" on any LBC is the most difficult
procedure.  I am currently replacing the front fenders on my 79B with early
fenders, so I do understand the problem.  The replacement factory fenders
fit pretty well, but the RH one is going to take some careful lining up to
get the door and chrome lines right.

        The repro fenders for the BGT are sourced from the UK, typically
these do have more problems than the factory ones.  The bolt line stamping
is also not as nice as the factory ones.  They may also have metric captive
bolt threads.  Color and consistancy may vary but they are suitable for
everyday use.

        The Rover supplied sheet metal does have Cathodic protection paint
coating. The label states to check the instruction manual regarding
painting.  Since I have not seen such a manual I am unable to state if the
coating should be left on the outside panel.  Anyone in the UK familiar with
this form of protective coating???

        Other supplied sheetmetal such as BMHT panels are coated in a thin
topcoat.  This is for rust prevention in transit and storage ONLY!!  This
coating is not suitable as a primer as it is not porous, or designed for
good adhesion.  These panels should be stripped to bare metal before
painting and primed with a suitable bare metal primer.  Think how many
greasy fingers have been over these panels before you receive them.

Hope this info helps/sets the record straight/makes people giddy with joy.

Kelvin.