Re: Speeding Tickets

To: j r overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Speeding Tickets
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 08:11:43 -0500
j r overcash wrote:

> Thats a good one!!  But seriously why is it the law enforcement officers
> almost always drive in excess of the speed limit on the highway. They can't
> always be going to an emergency.  You would think they should set the
> example....
>
> Ross Overcash,74B,NAMGBR 1172
> Ayer, MA
> http://www.tiac.net/users/jroverca/index.htm

    Well, Ross, that's easy to answer and a little difficult to justify.  Yes,
you are right that they can't always be going to an emergency.  Actually, very
few calls are classified as emergencies.  Those would include shootings,
cuttings, injury accidents, and other life threatening emergencies.  Here's
where it gets difficult--The average prowler call, burglary, fight,
disturbance, etc., is not classified as an emergency rating a red light and
siren response.  I cannot speak for all jurisdictions, naturally, but most
adopt similar philosophies as most emergency driving is expensive, dangerous,
and not worth it.
    Here's the part that is difficult.  When you have a prowler in your
backyard, it is an emergency to you!!  That's why the average officer gets to
the call as soon as he/she can but w/ out lights and siren on.  Before someone
jumps on the doughnut bandwagon, that is the reason--usually.  It is truly
dangerous driving in the emergency mode; it wouldn't be if there were not other
vehicles out there.  You never know what people are going to do when you
approach from the rear--some pull to the right, some to the left, and more than
you'd believe simply stop in their lane.  OK in town but a little tricky on the
interstate.
    MG content: Rats, it's raining!  Now, instead of doing the outside work I
will be forced to work on the MG project.  Nothing goes right for me these
days.

Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO