Re: Dash Pad Covers

To: Bob Holton <bholton@golden.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash Pad Covers
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:34:05 -0700
Bob,

I just purchased and installed a dash pad cover on my '74 B.
I am generally pleased with the results.  The top that I purchased does not
match the
existing dash exactly but it is very close. (definitely looks better than a
cracked dash.)
My advice is as follows:

1. Give your self plenty of time for cleaning and prepping of your old
dash.  It is
imperative that the old dash be completely cleaned of all dirt and oils
before the top
is fitted.

2. Roughing up the existing dash surface with sand paper is important for a
good adhesion
of the new dash top.

3. The adhesive supplied was basically clear silicone windshield sealant.
I have a black dash and
every bit of the adhesive that seeped out when I attached the dash is
rather highly viable.  If
I was going to do this again with a black dash, I would probably use the
black colored windshield
sealant that I have seen for sale in my local auto parts store.  I think
this would give a slightly better
looking finished product.

4. BEFORE you apply ANY adhesive to ANYTHING pre-fit the cover to the dash
and
        A) Make sure it fits  exactly how you think it should to your old dash
top.  Most of the dash
        tops available are made from fairly thick ABS plastic.  The plastic is
playable, but not as
        plyable as you might think.  DO not think that the adhesive will suck
the
new top down
        to the old dash because it will not (trust me).
        B) Come up with a plan on how you are going to secure the new top to
the
        old dash while the adhesive is drying.  Being basically rubber cement
the
adhesive
        takes a while to dry and you will NOT want to try and hold the dash the
entire time.
        I eneded up using a BUNCH of clamps and several wedges (wish I had had
more).

5. This task would probably be easier done  with the wind screen removed,
so if you need to replace your windshield as well, now would be a great
time to do it. :)

All in all the cover looks pretty good.  If an average person did not know
it was there they would probably never notice it.  However your MG buddies
will probably notice it.  And it would NOT likely hold up to concourse
scrutiny.  If either of those things bother you, you should probably
replace the entire dash pad rather than going for the top cover.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

-JW

At 05:18 PM 9/13/99 -0400, Bob Holton wrote:
>Greetings to the List from Southern Ontario,
>
>I've been slowly replacing or refurbishing bits in the cockpit of my 80 LE,
>and I've come to my dash, who's top has one crack from front to just before
>the drop into the cockpit.  I have looked at products offered by Moss and
V.B.

>Moss # 413-905
>
>V.B. # 15-130
>
>Both prices are close.  I'm wondering if anyone out there in MG land has
>had experience with these products.  Any constructive advise concerning
>them will be most welcome.  Rants will be avoided.
>
>The knowledge of this List has not let me down yet.
>bh
>
>"A closed mouth gathers no feet"  Anon.

        John Walker
     john@rmartin.net