Re: [Fwd: Re:Engine Block Heater]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re:Engine Block Heater]
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:50:25 GMT
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 17:07:57 -0700, you wrote:

>>The dipstick heaters are famous for starting fires.  Please be cautious.
>>
>>Baker
>

>        Having driven my little '68 MGB an entire -40 C (although at -40
>they cross, AFAIK) takeoff yourmufflerwiththesnowridgesintheroad Calgary
>winter (without a single damn Chinook) about ten years ago, I have
>thoroughly tested the little block heaters that go in the frostplug hole,
>and they work incredibly well and I thoroughly recommend them.  I don't
>know what it would do if it really got cold, though! <grin>

Where I live it really does get cold. I have seen -63.

I have never heard of an oil dip stick heater causing a fire but
perhaps it is because nobody around here uses them anymore.

Once the frost plug heaters became available that is about all that is
used here. You walk down the street and every car has a 110 volt
electrical cord sticking out the grill.

Most employers have electrical outlets available in the parking lots.
It is probably cheaper for them to supply the free juice than having
employees going out during working hours to start and warm up their
cars.

My MGB sits comfortably in the garage until the weather gets fit for
man and beast. That puppy isn't going to see any salt as long as I
drive it.

The frost plug heaters that we use are 750 watts. When it is bitter
cold (-30) we plug them in when we get home and leave them on all
night. A 15 watt light bulb for 3 hours starting with a cold engine
ain't gonna do much.